“Street Seats 2016” Design Competition Launched!
The Center for Architecture has just announced the launch of “Portland Street Seats 2016,” a design competition under the Center’s Design|Build Program. With a theme of “Four Seasons,” the competition asks teams and individuals to submit “great design ideas” for 6 foot by 20 foot street seats, “aiming to activate underutilized spaces throughout the city and [improve] Portland’s built environment by leveraging the creativity of the architecture and design community.” A jury will select two winning proposals, with each being awarded a stipend of $5,000 to develop, construct, and display their projects beginning during Design Week Portland, and remaining in place indefinitely.
The schedule is as follows:
- February 9, 2016 // RFP announced
- March 7, 2016 // Registration and Submissions due
- March 14, 2016 // Winners announced
- March 14 – April 18, 2016 // Design Development + Build
- April 18, 2016 // Projects installed
Full information and the competition brief can be found here: http://www.cfapdx.org/street-seats-2016/