- This event has passed.
The Human Shelter: A documentary film by Boris Bertram
Thanks to the generosity of Danish director Boris Bertram, Architects Without Borders-Oregon is pleased to present The Human Shelter at our holiday open house. The Human Shelter (55 minutes) premiered at the 2018 Copenhagen Architecture Festival. Filmed in nine countries across four continents, it explores how we construct the story of our home, whether home is a refugee camp in Iraq or a glacier shelter in Iceland. Please join us for food, drink, conversation and the screening of this poetic journey, “an expedition into what makes a home.”
About Architects Without Borders – Oregon
Architects Without Borders-Oregon assists communities in need by providing design and planning services through a volunteer network of professionals and students.
- Connect the Oregon design and building community to communities and non-profit groups that need architectural assistance.
- Address urgent and chronic conditions of inadequate infrastructure, community facilities, and shelter.
- Provide opportunities for architecture students and interns to gain experience in service, collaboration, design, and construction.
- Assess potential projects in order to understand the needs of the community, the feasibility of providing effective assistance, and the availability of appropriate volunteers and institutional and material resources.
- Respect and work closely with the people served by our efforts.
- Collaborate with relief and development agencies, government entities, building professionals, and educational institutions in interdisciplinary teams. Involve local labor, resources and technology.
- Provide designs and use practices and technologies that are environmentally responsible and appropriate to the culture and climate of each location. Utilize charrette techniques to maximize involvement and clarify potential solutions.
- Support each project team by recruiting volunteers; making contacts within the professional community; providing publicity, legal support and budgeting; and conducting fundraising for AWB’s work.
Cover image courtesy Boris Bertram via ArchDaily.