- This event has passed.
Beyond Transparency: Materials Disclosure + Practice
Materials Matter Session 5, Beyond Transparency: Materials Disclosure + Practice unpacks how to integrate healthy materials selection into firm culture and practice. It clarifies the risks of material transparency for firms and shares strategies for managing risk while encouraging transparency. It investigates how firms balance making better material choices while considering client and firm values, and how firm-based decisions ultimately impact the ‘bigger picture’ – human and environmental health. Local manufacturers will also engage in a live ly moderated discussion to share their perspective on the challenges and opportunities of healthy, sustainable materials. The session ends with immediate actions participants can take to apply their new knowledge and skills.
- Participants will be able to describe and apply strategies, standards and procedures used by firms to promote better material choices.
- Participants will be able to explain risks firms face in applying materials transparency and implement strategies for managing risk.
- Participants will be able to summarize the challenges and opportunities of materials transparency for manufacturers and develop strategies for working collaboratively with them.
- Participants will be able to effectively communicate with clients to start conversations about healthy, sustainable materials choices.
- Participants will be able to connect how material decisions made at the practice level impact the bigger picture of human and environmental health.
About the Materials Matter Series
Get up to speed on healthy, sustainable materials!
The AIA Materials Matter initiative is empowering architects to become advocates for materials transparency, and in so doing, enhancing design of a healthier, greener, more prosperous, and more equitable built environment.
Five part series | 20 CEU/HSW
8:00AM-12:30PM at AIA Portland
Join us for Materials Matter, a five-session series delivering comprehensive, high-level knowledge and strategies for assessing and selecting healthy, sustainable materials. Sessions will delve into the impact of materials on the environment and human health; the tools and data useful for assessing and prioritizing materials; and the strategies for integrating informed decision-making into projects and practice. Speakers will reveal the perspectives of project team members and other partners connected with materials and share the learnings and approaches of successful projects.
This series offers guidance on navigating the complex landscape of disclosures and transparency in order to assess and reduce the environmental and health impacts of products. Sessions will include presentations, panels, case studies, and activities, and participants will walk away from each session with action items for integrating the curriculum into their work.
Materials Matter Series
September 20: Why Materials Matter: Building Product Impacts
October 11: Healthy People: Materials Science + Human Health
November 8: Healthy Planet: Materials + the Environment
December 6: Just Do It: Strategies for Projects
January 10: Beyond Transparency: Materials Disclosure + Practice
Select any date to register for the entire series!
Due to generous funding from our sponsors at Oregon DEQ we are offering the following opportunities to save:
- Member prices to related industry organizations (ASID, IIDA, AGC, CSI, ASLA, ASCE, SEAO, SEAW, ASMTE, PMTC)
- Member firm incentives: Large/medium member firms (16+ staff) Register 2, send 1 free. Small firms (1-15 staff) Register 1, send 1 free. Must be a member firm of AIA Portland. Contact Adrienne Morris for assistance at email@example.com.
- $10,000 in scholarships! Scholarship applications due August 31.Learn more here »
Cover image courtesy AIA Seattle.