3rd Annual Old House Revival Tour

3rd Annual Old House Revival Tour
April 15, 2017 10 am – 4 pm
Architectural Heritage Center
701 SE Grand Ave., Portland, OR 97214
info@visitahc.org
www.visitahc.org

Eight historic residences will be open to the public on Saturday, April 15 from 10 am to 4 pm during the Architectural Heritage Center/Bosco-Milligan Foundation’s popular annual Old House Revival Tour. Tour homes highlight preservation, along with notable renovation projects demonstrating how modern needs can be met while respecting heritage. Located in the King, Humboldt, Goose Hollow, Irvington, Laurelhurst, Riverdale, and Richmond neighborhoods, the homes include: two within a historic district that demonstrate how you can readily update and still meet design guidelines; two designed by noted Portland architects Joseph Jacobberger and Roscoe Hemenway; inspired DIY projects and interesting uses of salvage; and a gorgeous award-winning bungalow kitchen renovation.

Participants will have the opportunity during the self-guided tour to meet local craftspeople and homeowners eager to share their renovation and preservation stories. This tour represents the AHC’s mission of inspiring people to conserve the art, craft, and context of historic buildings and places, and proceeds support education and advocacy.

Please note that the homes on tour are private and do not include mobility accommodations. Several of the homes require climbing one or more sets of stairs in order to see all of the spaces open to visitors. No children under 12 are allowed on the tour except babies in the arms of an adult or in a front pack. Children over 12 must be ticketed and closely supervised.

General Public $35
AHC Members $22.50
Young Preservationists (age 18-25) $15

This is a self-guided tour.  Click here to see a map of the general locations of the eight stops on this year’s tour.

Click here to register >>

Support for the Old House Revival Tour comes from Presenting Sponsor WILLCO and Supporting Sponsor AINW.

Bosco-Milligan Foundation
Based in Portland, Oregon and founded in 1987, the mission of the non-profit Bosco-Milligan Foundation is to inspire people to conserve the art, craft, and context of historic buildings and places to promote the city’s cultural heritage as a vital element of livable, sustainable communities. The Foundation, one of Oregon’s most active and influential historic preservation organizations, serves as a catalyst for preservation efforts through public programs, exhibitions, and advocacy at the local, state, and national levels.

The Bosco-Milligan Foundation’s permanent, nationally-significant collection of historic architectural elements was begun by organization founders Jerry Bosco and Ben Milligan. Many were rescued from demolished structures between the 1960s and 1980s, while others were donated to the Bosco-Milligan Foundation in recent years for education and public display. Today the collection consists of over 20,000 architectural artifacts and is one of the largest architectural artifacts collections in the western U.S.

The Architectural Heritage Center
Owned and operated by the Bosco-Milligan Foundation, the Architectural Heritage Center (AHC) is a resource center for historic preservation located in the rehabilitated 1883 West Block’s Building in Portland’s East Portland/Grand Avenue Historic District. AHC programs explore diverse topics in architectural history and preservation, and include rotating gallery exhibitions, talks, panel discussions, and workshops, among other events. The AHC also runs a full program of docent-led architecture and history walking tours throughout downtown and many Portland neighborhoods.

AHC Gallery Hours and Visitor Information
The AHC is open to the public Wednesday–Saturday, 10am–5pm. Admission is free for AHC members and $5 for the general public. The AHC is accessible.

On view now at the AHC is the exhibition “Parting Shots: Minor White’s Images of Portland, 1938-1942,” which presents this seminal photographer’s images of Portland in conjunction with architectural elements from the AHC’s permanent collection of architectural artifacts.

 

Images courtesy The Architectural Heritage Center.