- This event has passed.
Mid-Century Modern Tour of Works by William Fletcher
September 23, 10:00 am - 4:00 pm$35 - $45
On Saturday, September 23, Restore Oregon will host their 2017 Mid-Century Modern Tour, featuring residences designed by celebrated Northwest Modernist architect, William Fletcher. This tour marks the first time these homes – some of Fletcher’s finest greater-Portland area work — have ever been open to the public, or curated as a group.
Fletcher, founder of the architectural firm Fletcher Farr Ayotte (now known as FFA Architecture and Interiors, Inc.), began his career in 1955, in the basement of his home. The following year, he established an office in downtown Portland, where he shared space with Saul Zaik, Donald Blair, John Reese, Frank Blachly, Alex Pierce, and designer George Schwarz. These cohorts later became known as the 14th Street Gang of architects.
Initially, Fletcher found inspiration in the works of Mies van der Rohe and the International Style movement. He later joined contemporaries John Yeon, Pietro Belluschi, John Storrs and Van Evera Bailey in helping to shape the Northwest Regional Style of architecture, sometimes referred to as Northwest Modernism.
Constructed primarily of wood native to the Pacific Northwest, Fletcher’s homes employ strong geometry and a deft use of proportion. Fletcher’s careful attention to site placement helps his mid-century dwellings overcome the lighting challenges unique to our region, and allows them to blend effortlessly into the landscape. Later in his career, Fletcher brought these same approaches — and his unique aesthetic — to several well-known commercial projects, including Black Butte Ranch in Central Oregon, and Rex Hill Winery in Newberg.
As part of the 2017 Mid-Century Modern Tour, ticket holders will also have access to two companion events: a lecture on “The Work and Legacy of William Fletcher, Northwest Modernist” and an exclusive after-tour party hosted by Rejuvenation. The lecture is open to the public for a suggested donation of $10.
- Lecture: “The Work and Legacy of William Fletcher, Northwest Modernist”
- After-tour Party: Celebrate Fletcher & Meet Other Architects at Rejuvenation
- Rosé and Rummer House Tour
- Advance ticket purchase required; includes access to lecture and after-tour party
- $45 General Admission / $35 Restore Oregon Members
- All Tour Attendees Must Check-in:
Tour attendees who attend the lecture on Friday may check in at that event and bypass Saturday morning check-in. All other tour attendees must check-in at beginning at 9:00am on the September 23, 2017 at:
George Rogers Park
611 S State St, Lake Oswego, OR 97034
Upper Picnic Shelter
- Note: these are private homes, so there are no mobility accommodations.
- Please no children under 12 years of age unless they are babes in arms.
- No pets, food or drink in these homes.
- Tickets are non-refundable and all proceeds benefit the programs of Restore Oregon, a non-profit devoted to saving Oregon’s historic places, from the pioneer through modern eras.
- If you or your company is interested in sponsoring the 2017 tour, please email our development director, Nicole Possert at email@example.com.
- For press passes to the tour and information please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Restore Oregon works throughout Oregon to save and protect our state’s historic places. All proceeds from our 2017 Mid Century Modern Tour will benefit our statewide education and advocacy programs.
About Restore Oregon:
Founded in 1977, Restore Oregon is a 501(c) (3) nonprofit organization which advocates for sound preservation policy and legislation. Our mission is to preserve, reuse and pass forward the historic places that create livable communities. Each year, we provide statewide educational programming and technical assistance, while working to save the sites and structures featured on our annual list of Oregon’s Most Endangered Places. We hold over 40 conservation easements on historic properties, thereby protecting them in perpetuity. Learn more at www.restoreoregon.org
About FFA Architecture and Interiors, Inc.:
FFA Architecture and Interiors (FFA) is a full-service design firm providing expertise in architecture, planning, and interior design. Committed to having a positive impact on our communities, FFA has designed compelling award-winning buildings since its founding by Bill Fletcher in 1956. For over 60 years we have provided high quality building designs that fit within the framework of the site and embody the history, culture, and values of our clients. Marketing Contact: Sue Johnson, email@example.com, 503-327-0347
Cover image courtesy Restore Oregon.